How to cook the perfect steak
Read through for everything you need to know about how to cook the perfect steak.For all steaks:
1. Bring to room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking
2. Remove from cryovac bag, rinse if needed and pat dry with paper towell.
3. Heat a heavy based frying pan, preferably cast iron until smoking hot.
4. Oil steak (not pan) either use pastry brush to brush oil on, or massage on with hands.
5. Season with freshly cracked pepper and good salt (Maldon is great). Put salt on just before putting on pan so it doesn't draw moisture from meat and dry it out. By seasoning steak it will help seal in moisture when it hits the pan.
6. Cook for desired time, turn once with tongs. Do not overcook!! once cooked remove from pan and leave on a warm plate covered loosely with foil to rest for 3 - 5 minutes, it will continue to cook through for this time.
** If you think your steak is undercooked for your liking, you can pop in the oven for a few minutes to heat through a bit more **
There are different ways to test if your steak is done.
RARE- for 3cm thick steak cook for 2 minutes each side. Internal temp will be 30-50 degrees and steak should feed soft to touch
MEDIUM RARE- for 3cm thick steak cook for 3 minutes each side. Internal temp will be 55-65 degrees and steak should feed firm but springy to touch
RARE- for 3cm thick steak cook for 2 minutes each side. Internal temp will be 30-55 degrees and steak should feed soft to touch
WELL DONE- for 3cm thick steak cook for 5-6 minutes each side. Internal temp will be 70-80 degrees and steak should feed very firm with no spring
MOST IMPORTANT TO REST STEAKS BEFORE EATING. AS A RULE REST FOR THE SAME TIME AS STEAK WAS COOKED FOR.